Monday, October 24, 2011

Two week Preparation

I am preparing for a performance at Links Hall, Nov. 4-6 in Chicago as part of Erin Carlisle Norton's curated show The Purple State featuring dance works by Meghan Durham-Wall, Erin and The Moving Architects and myself.

I originally reached out to JR Gualtieri for video and Michael Wall for music but as the countdown to premiere began we or I had to shift. As I am not in Columbus to work directly with them, with that said JR and I did a video shoot on Friday Oct. 21st at Columbus Dance Theatre.

The shoot went well at least I had a chance to finally workshop some ideas in front of the camera. Gavin Danger showed up and watched some of my improvisations and JR switched music to help push my dancing body to new places. Geoffrey arrived and witnessed my final dance to a piece of music by Tomita, which has now become one piece of music in this first incarnation.

I am just too uncertain to drag Michael in at this time but I know that what I am showing the first week of November will be a draft work. I know that I want a set and a group of dancers in this work. I am workshopping my ideas and I hope to take a year to develop the final project.

The video concept is to be sitting still while the video behind me representing aspects of myself dancing around me. The urge to move is present but I can't or is it inside my mind.  I am dancing.

I am nervous and excited about what JR and I accomplishing in two weeks - again knowing that we are not in the same city but we are giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment